Melanie Murphy, Hazel Hayes, and Adrian Bliss were amongst the UK creators to win at this year’s Buffer Festival Awards.
The awards show, which was held on 1 October at Toronto’s Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre, was the first of its kind for the festival. Winners were decided by a public vote that took place throughout the event, in a format that saw attendees share what they liked most about the videos premiered, and the awards ranged from editing and production to cultural experience and diversity.
Many of the UK YouTubers in attendance at this year’s festival were award recipients. Ciaran OBrien and Sammy Paul took home the award for Excellence in Sound for their work on Orla Gartland‘s Inevitable live session; Melanie Murphy won the award for Excellence in Cultural Experience for her short film CHOICE; Hazel Hayes‘s PrankMe won for Excellence in Storytelling; Tim Hautekiet tied with Dominic Fera for Excellence in Writing for their respective works We’ve All Been There and Content; and Adrian Bliss won the night’s final award of Excellence in Comedy for his 100,000 subscribers documentary.
Many of the night’s winners took to Twitter to share their appreciation:
— Sammy Paul (@ICOEPR) October 2, 2017
JAZZ PRANKS, BITCH!
— Hazel Hayes (@TheHazelHayes) October 2, 2017
— Melanie 💚 Murphy (@melaniietweets) October 2, 2017
The full list of winners is as follows:
- Excellence in Production – Andrew Huang
- Excellence in Editing – Ollie Ritchie
- Excellence in Inspiration – Chantel Houston
- Excellence in Diversity – Ari Fitz
- Excellence in Cinematography – Marko and Alex Ayling
- Excellence in Sound – Ciaran OBrien and Sammy Paul
- Excellence in Cultural Experience – Melanie Murphy
- Excellence in Storytelling – PrankMe (Hazel Hayes)
- Excellence in Writing – Tim Hautekiet and Dominic Fera
- Excellence in Comedy – Adrian Bliss